Medpot Minstrel: Hydroponics Medical Marijuana

Friday, June 15, 2007


Sexing With a Paper Bag, Mixing Nourishment

As I’m filling up my reservoir with water to compensate for the amount that my plants have consumed of the nutrient solution in the past twenty-four hours, I’m thinking of different ways of sexing my 15 medpot plants.

I used to fill up each day with unfiltered tap water, since the quality of the water coming out of the tap in these parts used to be pretty good.

Then we had a few rainstorms and the reservoir got a large amount of sediment washed into it and we had a boil water advisory that lasted a week. That’s when I decided to install a purifying filter on the tap leading into my reservoir.

This is week 4 of the vegging phase of my plants. This might be the time to start thinking about removing the male plants and allow my six chosen females to occupy the seats of honor—the six buckets filled with baked clay pebbles in my ebb and flow hydro system.

My mission each time I grow medpot is to grow six sinsemilla plants to provide Claire and I with the purest and most potent pot possible. Sinsemilla literally translates into “without seed,” and indicates unfertilizes, virgin female cannabis plants that grow buds dripping with resin and high in THC.

If I kept the male plants around, they would fertilize my females and throw my plans into chaos. Instead of chucking them into the compost, I pass my male plants on to a fellow medpot patient who is incapacitated. He welcomes this gift, since grown to maturity, male plants also provide smokable parts that are healing.

I can usually tell which plants are male and which are female just by their physical appearance. As I stated last week, male plants are taller with fewer branches and less foliage. Females are bushier, their branches are bunched close together, and they have many more leaves than males.

However, this time I decided to try a method I read about on a Dutch website on the Internet. If you pick a lower branch on each plant and cover it with a black paper bag for 12 hours each day, then remove the bag for 12 hours under your HID light, in about a week the branch will sprout the beginnings of early flowers.

Use a paper bag, not plastic, in order to allow the branch to breathe. The only way this trick will work is if you do it punctually for at least a week. Make sure absolutely no light gets to the branch during the “dark” periods.

If you look at the bud site under a magnifying glass, you will discover that the male plant will have a growth that looks like three
small balls joined together with a tiny stem, while the female will grow either a single or a double pistil, which are hair-like growths designed to grab the pollen from the male.

I’ll report on the results of this experiment next week. In the meantime, I mix up a new batch of my nutrient solution each week, making sure that I flush and wipe my reservoir between each new nutrient mix.

I generally mix the solution really well in my pre-mix tank the night before using it. Some of the ingredients, notably Barricade, take a longer time to dissolve than others.

Since this is week 4 of vegging, I start with 148.54 mL each of Sensi Grow A and Sensi Grow B in my 72-Liter tank. I’m aiming for 1200 PPM or 1.71 EC. The vegetative growth cycle will culminate with 1400 PPM and EC 2 during week 8.

I could keep my plants in vegetative growth for as long as I want, by maintaining a 16-hour light and 8-hour darkness cycle. Some growers do keep some plants in veg growth perpetually to provide clones for further propagation.

However, I found that clones are not practical for a medpot grower with only one grow room and a legal limit of six mature plants in each cycle. So I only veg to week 8, by which time my plants have reached a height of 5 feet (usually, depending on the strain).

That to me is a signal that they are ready to go into flower. So I go to 12/12 with my lighting and switch from Sensi Grow A & B to Sensi Bloom A & B. I also add Bud Blood with its high Phosphorus and Potassium content to provide the extra amount of these elements needed by the plant to start large bud formation.

But I’m jumping the gun. I’m still in week 4 The synthetic nutrients in my Sensi Two-Part, which are numerous and very nourishing, are supplemented by adding 162 mL of Mother Earth Super Tea Grow, an organic smorgasbord of goodies that add natural nourishment to the mix.

90 mL each of Grandma Enggy’s Humic Acid and her Fulvic Acid are added next, in order to help stimulate a rich, humus-like soil growing environment in my hydroponic reservoir. Our grandparents grew their food in just such a rich, black, fertile soil.

13.46 mL of Barricade comes next. I generally mix this potassium silicate product in a 4 Liter bottle with water, and then shake the hell out of it. Only when I see it dissolved do I add it to my pre-mix tank. It dissolves completely, if left overnight.

Then I add 450 mL of B-52, a B-complex Vitamin that replenishes the nutrients my plants lose through stress. Yes, plants experience stress every day. It can be caused by too much light, too little light, roots deprived of oxygen, too much humidity, too little humidity, too much Nitrogen, too little Nitrogen, etc.

I can’t over-emphasize the importance of adding Scorpion Juice to your nutrient mix on a weekly basis. In addition to applying this product as a foliar spray, you should also add it to your root zone regularly.

It imparts an induced systemic resistance to your cannabis plants, that enables them to ward off numerous pathogens and pests. This will save you from immense headaches and possible loss of your medicine.

450 mL of SensiZym adds over 80 bioactive enzymes into your solution. These are super active in the root zones of your plants by munching on plant debris in your grow medium and converting the content of this debris into easily absorbable nutrients, which will be utilized to grow bigger, better, healthier ganja.

I’ve sung the praises of Piranha, Tarantula, and Voodoo Juice many times before. They are root colonizers containing beneficial microorganisms that fight and ward off harmful microorganisms before they hurt your plants.

They have been added to the mix during weeks 1, 2, and 3. Weeks 4, 5, 6, and 8 they do not need to be added, since they multiply by themselves. Week number 7 they will be topped up for a total of 101.28 grams of Piranha and Tarantula, and 487.44 mL of Voodoo Juice, during the eight-week vegetative growth of my plants.

posted by Wes @ 1:44 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home