Medpot Minstrel: Hydroponics Medical Marijuana

Friday, April 13, 2007


Connoisseur thickens stalks, leaves, and buds

This is week 5 of the bloom stage and I’m feeding Connoisseur to my six ladies. I’m beginning to see a transformation that I don’t remember seeing with the Sensi Bloom 2-part.

The stalks seem to have thickened, the buds look like they have more weight, the plants look bushier, and even the leaves seem to be a bit meatier. However, I noticed slight tip burn here and there, so I phoned the Advanced Nutrients Medical tech guys right away.

“The tip burn is nothing to get worried about. Just cut back on your feeding, from 200 to 400 ppm.” It seems that they’ve found in selected med growers' trials that certain strains needed a lighter feeding regimen when it came to Connoisseur.

I told the tech guy that I was reducing the ppm by 200 in any case, going from week 4 to week 5 (1600 to 1400 ppm). But that I would reduce an additional 200 ppm to make sure that the tip burn is eliminated. He said that sounded good.

I asked him what the major difference between the Sensi 2-part I’ve been using and Connoisseur is, and he said that all the micronutrients in the latter are amino chelated and that the polyamino alcohols in Connoisseur make it a very different base fertilizer.

“What do the alcohols do exactly?” I asked. “They increase the elasticity of the cellular walls,” said the man. He doesn’t know how much he can reveal about the formulation of the Connoisseur ingredients since the formula is proprietary.

He did, however, speculate that the cell walls being more pliable, more carbohydrates accumulate in the cells of the leaves, which extra nourishment then becomes available to feed the buds at the end of the flowering stage.

More weight, more girth, bigger yields. “Is Connoisseur selling well?” I asked, knowing full well that this ultra premium fert was being sold at a premium price. “We can’t make it fast enough, it’s disappearing from the shelves of our warehouse,” was the answer.

The selected med growers trials all reported higher yields, with or without the suggested supplements in the Nutrient Calculator. Just like the other Advanced Nutrients base fertilizers, Connoisseur can be used as a standalone product, or in conjunction with suggested ingredients in a nutrient mix.

One medpot grower reduced the ppm of Connoisseur and doubled up on the Bud Blood during week 1 of flowering and got excellent results. Being that it’s week 5, I’m adding 200 mL of Overdrive to my pre-mix tank, along with 400 mL of SensiZym; 250 mL of Barricade; 30 grams of Carbo Load Powder; 300 mL of B-52; and 75 mL each of Fulvic Acid and Humic Acid, as well as of Mother Earth Super Tea Bloom.

The amount of Connoisseur A and Connoisseur B I’ve cut back from 186 mL during week 4 to 125 mL each during week 5. I did some quick readings with my EC meter, and came close to EC 1.71, which is 1200 ppm, 200 ppm lower than the suggested level for this week, and 400 ppm lower than what I fed my ladies last week.

“The more food the leaf has the more potential the flower has, because it draws from the leaf,” summed up the Advanced Nutrients tech advisor. “All I know is that everyone who tried Connoisseur and were familiar with the genetics of the strain they were growing showed an increase in yield, improved vigor, increased uptake, and a better product in the end.”

The chelated nutrients in Connoisseur are made from the highest quality ingredients and they are designed to be absorbed by the plants more rapidly in a molecular configuration that enhances floral growth.

Connoisseur also contains a proprietary blend of floral-growth enhancers that influence plant bloom metabolism and floral production.

Connoisseur is designed to increase the set points for flowering, thus increasing the number of buds per plant. Even though I introduced this outstanding product during week 3 of flowering, I did notice that some extra budding points formed on the stalks, and these mini-buds are experiencing rapid growth.

I wonder if they’ll catch up with the buds that formed during week 1, when I mixed Bud Blood into my reservoir. Bud Blood is high in Phosphorus and Potassium and is designed to trigger flower formation on your cannabis plants.

Bud Blood has an NPK of 0-39-25, which means that it has 0 percent Nitrogen, 39 percent Phosphorus or Phosphates, and 25 percent Potassium. It’s composed of Potassium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate, and Potassium Sulphate. It is suggested that you use it only during week 1 of flowering.

If I had been using Connoisseur from the very start of flowering this time, I would have had to mix in 36 grams of Bud Blood into my 72 Liter reservoir. That’s actually the exact same quantity that I did use, even though during week 1 I was still using Sensi Bloom A & B.

Used in conjunction with switching your light regimen from 18-6 to 12-12, Bud Blood is designed to kick start flower production. The large amount of Phosphorus in Bud Blood is critically required by the roots of cannabis plants for the production of cytokinins. Cytokinins are phytohormones that move up into the vegetative growing tips and trigger the growing of flower tissue, as well as increased branching.

The increased amount of Phosphorus in Bud Blood is a perfect match for the ingredients in Connoisseur, which include Potassium Chelate and Potassium Nitrate. Phosphorus makes up a considerable amount of the physical matter of plant cells. Phosphorus is crucial to the structure of many plant molecules.

Phosphorus is integral to DNA and RNA molecules, holding together the genetic code of all membranes that surround all cells. As a macronutrient, Phosphorus effects plant growth in general, but in particular, flower formation. Scientific literature is full of examples of how this important mineral interacts with the living tissue of plants.

During weeks 2, 3, and 4 I fed my plants Big Bud Powder, which has an NPK of 0-10-40, so it’s higher in Potassium. The importance of Potassium in flowering will be the subject of next week’s blog entry.

posted by Wes @ 5:01 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home